After a hurricane or hail storm, many people feel like they’ve met virtually every roofer in town. Flyers litter their doorsteps, strangers are knocking, and salesmen are constantly calling. Some are polite and others are downright pushy. How do you choose?
First and foremost, if it is at all possible, do not rush into a decision. After Hurricane Ike we received a call from the son of a woman who had given all her money to someone who came to her door. She was in a hurry to have her roof fixed before Thanksgiving because family was coming into town. These so-called contractors came out a couple of times, started the job, and were never heard from again. Thousands of dollars that her insurance company had paid her up front were lost. With the information below, we hope we can help you choose a roofing contractor who will not cheat you.
Try to think of choosing a contractor almost like you would a husband or wife. You might want a good-looking one with a great sense of humor, but you could be unhappy for years to come if you don’t look beyond those qualities.
Here are a few important qualities to look for when choosing a contractor:
- Are they a locally owned and operated company?
- What kind of rating to do they have with the Better Business Bureau? How long have they been a member?
- How many years have they been in business?
- How long have their crews worked for them?
- Is the person who came to your door a salesman or a roofing contractor? There is a world of difference! An experienced roofing contractor will be able to answer all your questions in an intelligent manner, but a salesman is there for the sale. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. If they can’t answer specific questions about the work, then keep looking.
- Are they a GAF Master Elite Contractor? Colony Roofing and Exteriors is! We install the roof according to the shingle manufacturer’s specifications. We are also able to offer enhanced warranties.
- Are they insured? (Remember that proof of insurance should come directly from the insurance provider.)
- Can they provide referrals? Will they provide addresses to houses they have done? Take a look at the roofs and compare. At Colony Roofing & Exteriors our roofs are installed with expertise. They not only provide protection for your home, but also enhance its beauty.
Consider all these points when choosing a contractor. By using these guidelines, you are protecting yourself from being cheated and/or having a substandard roof installed on your home.
Feeling Intimidated by a Contractor?
What if a contractor has knocked on your door and convinced you to sign a contract? (Many salesmen know that if you have time to think about it you might not choose them.) The pressure is on to sign right then and there. Sometimes you can feel intimidated. By law, you have three business days to cancel the contract. Most require the cancellation in writing. Give them a call and let them know right away, and then put it in writing either by mail or e-mail, whatever they require. This law is for your protection and prevents you, a loved one, or a vulnerable person from being strong-armed or tricked into signing a contract.
Also, if the contractor/salesman tries any of these, politely show them to the door:
- They won’t put it in writing with details about labor, materials, and warranty.
- They tell you the offer is only good today.
- They tell you that you don’t need to discuss it with your spouse.
- They offer to cover your deductible (insurance fraud).
Owner Steve Furber has built homes for ten years, and then started his own company, Colony Roofing & Exteriors, LP which has been in business since 1990. People choose us time and again because we will answer all your questions, only sell you what you need, and will stand behind our work with a written warranty. Call us today and let us make you another 100% satisfied customer!
The optimal way to choose a contractor is before a storm hits – for more information, click on our tab, Hurricane Season Information. Be ready before the storms hit.