Find a Roofing Contractor You Can Trust Before Disaster Strikes!
Ready for Hurricane Season?
Check Out Roofing Contractors Before the Storm
Most people would never consider looking for a reputable roofing contractor in anticipation of a hurricane, but consider the advantages:
- You will not be trying to locate a roofer while dealing with the stress of a leaking roof!
- You will have time to check out local roofers’ experience and proper business practices on such highly regarded sites as the Better Business Bureau and Angie’s List.
- You will avoid contracting with “fly-by-night” companies who do substandard work and leave you without a warranty and, most times, without recourse. (Some of these companies set up a local phone number and a temporary store front in order to fool you into thinking they are local.)
- You can immediately call the companies you trust, and avoid ending up on a long waiting list!
AFTER THE STORM
Here are some useful tips on what to do after a storm.
No Visible Damage
Don’t see damage but all your neighbors are getting their claims approved? At this point it is a good idea to contact a roofer. Here are some reasons:
- Shingles can look attached but may be torn from their fasteners (nails), and/or their sealing strips may be compromised. This is an invitation to future leaks and damage to both the exterior and interior of your home.
- Insurance policies vary. Some policies give a specific period of time that a claim must be filed after a storm. Talk to your agent before a storm strikes to know exactly what your policy requires.
- If possible, perform a visual inspection of your roof from the ground. We do not recommend climbing on your roof.
- If you see damage, promptly call a roofing contractor to get it covered. This is important because your insurance policy states that it is your responsibility to make reasonable efforts to protect your home from further damage.
- If you suspect damage, contact your insurance company as soon as possible in order to file a claim, and to schedule an adjustor to come out to your home. Remember, the sooner you call, the less likely you will end up near the bottom of a long list of claims!
- In most cases we have found that insurance companies try to be fair. But when there are wide areas of damage, adjusters are overworked. You might even get an inexperienced adjuster. We recommend you arrange for your roofing contractor to meet with your adjuster when he comes to inspect your roof for damage. It is a good idea to have an extra set of experienced eyes.
- For more information on roof inspections, see our blog “Do I Have Hail Damage?”
At Colony Roofing and Exteriors, you never work with a salesman. Many customers choose us because they realize that they are talking to knowledgeable and experienced professionals! Check out our testimonials’ page on this website.
At Colony Roofing & Exteriors we are proud of the fact that many of our new business comes from the referrals of our 100% satisfied customers. We have stayed in business for almost thirty years by using only the highest quality materials, employing experienced and courteous crews, and standing behind our written warranties. After each job, we don’t just arrive to pick up the check. We walk the job with you to make sure you are satisfied with the installation and look of your roof.