Every year the cost of installing a new roof rises. At Colony Roofing and Exteriors we regularly receive letters from our suppliers that prices are going up – again. It’s only natural that you want your roof to last as long as possible because you will be spending a considerable amount of money. After all, it is one of the most expensive home improvements you will eventually have to make.
Here are a few pointers on how to prolong the life of your roof:
- Keep tree limbs trimmed to prevent the removal of gravel. (Gravel is the material that protects your roof from harmful UV rays.) When limbs make contact it can cause the granules to loosen and roll off. These granules are critical because they protect your roof from the UV rays that can shorten its life.
- Don’t combine ventilation products without talking to an experienced roofing contractor. Improperly combining products such as ridge vents and turbines to an area may impede the work of the ridge vents and can cause humidity to build up in your attic. This will cause your roof to prematurely age. (Plus, you will have purchased two products when you may have only needed one.)
- Power washing at the wrong pressure setting can cause granules to be loosened. Remember that these granules are critical to protecting your roof from harmful UV rays. If you are contemplating power washing, call an experiencing power washer or roofing contractor.
- When you experience extremely high winds it is an excellent idea to call an experienced roofing contractor. He will be able to tell you if your shingles have broken seals and/or if fasteners (nails) have been compromised. By taking care of this as soon as possible you prevent possible damage to your home’s interior. (Loosened shingles and popped nails may allow water to enter your home, which can result in interior damage.) It is also important to note that you only have a certain amount of time to file an insurance claim after an “event”. An experienced roofing contractor will be able to tell you if the damage warrants a claim.
- Keep your valleys free of leaves and debris. Build-up can cause a “damming effect” resulting in leaks.
- Never walk on your roof unless absolutely necessary. The less foot traffic, the better, because repeated walking can break seals and detach nails from shingles, as well as loosen gravel. Also, going up may seem easy, but it can look much higher on the way down! Leave the up-close inspection to a roofing professional!
At Colony Roofing & Exteriors we will never try to sell you anything you do not need. Our customers frequently ask us if they need to replace their roof right away. There have been times when we have told them that they still have a few years. Because we want our customers to trust us (and refer us) we make it a point to never take advantage of them. If you believe your roof needs replacing but want a reputable roofing contractor to take a look, give us a call. Colony Roofing & Exteriors has been in business for almost thirty years and the owner, Steve Furber, built homes for ten years. That’s almost forty years of experience! When you consider the amount of money you will spend on a roof, you need to call someone who will be completely honest with you about your needs! Our company has a wealth of experience from which you can benefit. Give us a call and let us make you another 100% satisfied customer!